When Troubleshooting a network connection problem it is useful to understand the various network states displayed on the computer so you know where to focus.
To Check network status on a Mac:
- Click on the Apple icon in the top left of the screen and select 'System Preferences'
- Click on 'Network'
- The network status is indicated by a coloured circle
- Green = Network is connected
- Yellow = network is connected but there is an issue.
- Red = network is not connected, check the physical cables are plugged in and the devices they are connected to are powered on.
On Windows pc's the network icon is displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen.
Network is connected
Network is connected but there is an issue
- Restart the computer, router(If connected) and Alcatel desk phone (if connected)
Network cable is unplugged
- Check the physical network cables are plugged in and devices they are connected to are powered on.